[luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #595 - 7 msgs

maddog maddog at heavymetaalradio.net
Wed Feb 12 22:28:43 PST 2003

Ho'ala and Scott,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am definitely interested in teh training lab
as I am a windows network engineer and we all know how insecure that can be.
I am looking to set up an intrusion detection system with Linux RH8 and
Snort among other programs. I am looking into what it would take.

On the radio show front there are two possible slots upcoming. I want to do
a show completely about open source so we can get the word out about what a
great community this is. I want to discuss what open source is, the history
and where it is now and how people can get involved on a learning level and
on a donation scale. I would also like to go into hacking (in the real sense
of the word and not what it is percieved to be), and what it entails both
good and bad.

The second show is a hacker show. I need someone that is willing to go on
and talk about gleening information from computers and networks using
programs like nMap and queso. More or less I want to scare people into being
more secure with their computers hooked up to DSL and Road Runner. For this
show I want someone willing to go by just a hadle like the prince of
darkness or something similar. I don't know if there is anyone on the list
willing to do that but that is what I am looking for.

Lastly, I wanted to apologise for the return of the digest. I don't usually
subscribe by digest but I didn't know how many emails a day this list
generates so I didn't want to take a chance. Scoldings well taken, sorry
bout that guys.

Thanks,
Don

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:43:26 -1000 (HST)
> Subject: Re: [luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #594 - 6 msgs
> From: "Ho'ala Greevy" <hoala at secretbonus.com>
> To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
>
> Don,
>

> great to have you aboard LUAU.  Actually, your radio show,
> thinktechhawaii, has already gotten notable attention on this list, as we
> are looking to get on your show as well!  What do we need to do to make
> this happen?
>
> PS- It's considered impolite to include an entire day's digest in a
> posting to the list.  Please include only the section(s) you want to
> comment on.
>
> Mahalo nui,
> Ho'ala
>

> Don said:
> > Aloha fellows.
> >
> > I might (that is bold and underlined) be able to find some help with
> > storage. I may know some folks that have some temporary storage that
> > could be donated. How long of a timeframe are we talking about here? If
> > you can get the computers out within a month or two it may be doable.
> >
> > On another note, if you are looking for publicity I am on a local tech
> > radio show on Wednesday evenings on KIPO FM 89.3 and I could help to
> > get the word out for you. I can't do it every week but once a month
> > would be okay. Maybe we could do a news story on you and what your
> > goals are and how to contact you, etc.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Don Mangiarelli
> > Don The Gadget Guy
> > www.thinktechhawaii.com
>

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 4
> From: "R. Scott Belford" <sctinc at flex.com>
> To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 06:51:32 -1000
> Subject: [luau] Events for you
>
> I want to remind you that twice a week we have Linux events for you.
HOSEF,
www.hosef.org/when.html
> will link you to directions.
>
> If you haven't been there, or if it has been a while, we have  pretty
large
> lab, warehouse space, and a training room with desks and presentation
> equipment at our diposal thanks to the kind folks at Pricebusters.  While
the
> primary objective of each gathering is to work on donated PC's, the offer
> stands to help you with anything Open Source related, including installing
> Linux on you own computer.  It is completely informal; there is no such
thing
> as being late.  You can come and go at your leisure.
>
> If you are curious about Linux, but have not touched it, we have a demo
> machine running Mandrake 9, one running Redhat 8, one running the LTSP,
one
> with Debian gnu/linux about to be installed, and several other computers
> waiting for you to practice installing or configuring stuff on.  We have a
> few machines that we will soon test in hopes that they can support a few
thin
> clients.
>
> To test the large rollouts we will have, we have a dual athlon/1.5 gb ram
> server to test large numbers of clients.  This machine is here to use for
> testing and researching any issues that may arise in the installations we
> will conduct in the years to come.
>
> YOU are always welcome.  These gatherings are a great socializer for our
LUAU
> here, and it is a fine opportunity to do some good ala the HOSEF mission.
If
> there is something you want to learn, please come by.  In the months to
come
> we will begin to offer free classes.  If there is something you want to
> teach, or have taught to you, please let it be known.  We are here for you
> learn how to love Linux and Open Source software.
>
> aloha
>
> scott
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 5
> From: "R. Scott Belford" <sctinc at flex.com>
> To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
> Subject: Re: [luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #594 - 6 msgs
> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:12:45 -1000
>
> Don,
>
> Let me echo Ho'ala's welcome.  I am a big supporter of Hawaii Public
Radio.
> This support is made much easier because of the great coverage of local
Tech