[luau] Earthlink or Roadrunner? -- static IP addresses?

Dwight Victor elua at Aikanaka.com
Mon Dec 29 00:26:00 PST 2003

RoadRunner uses dynamically assigned IP addresses.  It just seems that
they are fairly static.  The last time I checked, it seemed like
RoadRunner has a DHCP address lease time of about three hours.

If you keep your cable modem (or windows PC, or DHCP client process)
running 24/7, it will request that the DHCP server renew the lease on the
current IP address whenever the lease period expires.  If your cable modem
(or windows PC, or DHCP client process) is off longer than the lease
period, then when you power back on (or restore, or reload, or whatever),
you will be assigned a new IP address.  This is all standard DHCP stuff.
Check the RFCs for details.

Dwight...