[luau] RoadRunner or EarthLink?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 24 10:33:01 PST 2003

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> As I mentioned earlier, I was quite disturbed to find out that my cable
> modem has a fix IP address of 66.xxx.xxx.xxx.  I turned off my Linksys
> router a few times, the ip address stays the same.  However, I have had
> this new ip address for only two weeks.  Perhaps it was too short for
> Oceanic to change it, and I will be really anxious to find out.  I don't
> want a fix ip address to go into my house.  Period.
>
> Many security-conscientious Windows users bought a router to serve as an
> external firewall.  But 99% of them don't change the default password.
> So much for the hightened security.

I personally liked having a fixed IP for months at a time because it is
a hassle to change it for the things that I do... and changing the IP
address seems to be as simple as changing the MAC address and power
cycling the cable modem.

Strangely changing the MAC address back then power cycling the cable
modem always brought it back to the original IP address.

Warren