[luau] RoadRunner or EarthLink?

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Dec 24 09:47:00 PST 2003

R. Scott Belford wrote:

>When back in Georgia earlier this year, I helped a friend set up his
>earthlink dsl connection.  It is important to note that the DSL modem
>used by earthlink is actually a router.  It holds the public ip address
>and issues a 192.[168].x.x address to your computer(s.)  They use pppoe and
>the router cannot be altered to operate as a bridge.  I believe that
>earthlink is only offering cable service here so far, so this point is
>currently moot.
>
>--scott

As I mentioned earlier, I was quite disturbed to find out that my cable
modem has a fix IP address of 66.xxx.xxx.xxx.  I turned off my Linksys
router a few times, the ip address stays the same.  However, I have had
this new ip address for only two weeks.  Perhaps it was too short for
Oceanic to change it, and I will be really anxious to find out.  I don't
want a fix ip address to go into my house.  Period.

Many security-conscientious Windows users bought a router to serve as an
external firewall.  But 99% of them don't change the default password.
So much for the hightened security.

This reminds of the new Office 2003, which allows a 500 MB Word file to
be loaded in one second.  When someone tells you that s/he can travel
faster than the speed of light, you will begin to wonder whether that is
true.  wayne