[luau] RoadRunner or EarthLink?

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Dec 24 07:55:01 PST 2003

Thanx for the input.  Actually I have switched from RR to Earthlink
about a couple of weeks ago.  All I needed to do, "essentially", was to
go to Ala Moana Center and exchange my old cable modem (I was one of the
first RR subscribers) for a newer one.  As you mentioned, Earthlink
claims to have a higher maximum speed (thus, necessitating the need for
the modem upgrade), but I really couldn't tell.  The only reason for my
switch is that, at the same or a little cheaper cost, Earthlink also
gives me a worldwide (including mainland, China, Taiwan, Japan, etc.)
dial-up account.  To me, this is invaluable.

Everything can be done over the phone.  But there is one caveat: you
have to at least once log in as root to allow Earthlink to update your
DNS.  Of course, you can always change them mannually as I did, but you
have to call Earthlink to get those numbers.

Windows users won't have this problem--if your house is not locked, you
don't need the key.  Windows should be banned for broadband use.  This
is an excellent example.  wayne