[luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #944 - 4 msgs

maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Wed Dec 24 06:39:01 PST 2003

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:01:03 -1000
> From: Vince Hoang <luau at ml.altern8.net>
> To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
> Subject: Re: [luau] Postfix Question
>
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:13:54PM -1000, Maddog wrote:
> > I have a small problem with Postfix. I installed it on a Fedora
> > Core 1 system and I can telnet in and send email all day but
> > when I try to send myself email from my Exchange server it
> > comes back days later with a failed to connect message.
>
> Simple. Stop using Exchange. :)
>
> > The log files do not show any connection attempts.
>
> But the logs should give more clues.

I checked the log file with tail - /var/log/maillog. I monitored the log aas
I sent the other mail and there are literally no connection attempts from
the exchange server. I can telnet into the Postfix box and it delivers that
mail and I get the logwatch mails from the system everyday, no connection
attempts there either. I checked all the other logs as well with no luck.

> > below is the main.cf file. Can anyone help me with this? DNS is
> > resolving the host mail.shidler.net. I can ping the host and do
> > an nslookup and it comes back to the IP addy.
> >
> > #myhostname = test-email.tsg.com <----- Internal Domain
> > myhostname = mail.shidler.net <------- Internet Domain name
>
> Do you literally have the garbage at the end of the hostname?
> That should freak out the postfix configuratino parser.

Vince,

No I do not literally have that stuff in the config file I just put it in
there as an added explanation for the list. I'd like to think I learned
something from your class. :-)
> -Vince

Maddog

> End of LUAU Digest