[luau] Re: LUAU digest, Vol 1 #927 - 6 msgs

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Dec 1 12:31:01 PST 2003

maddog wrote:

>Wayne,
>
>AS far as I can see so far in looking at desktop replacements for Windoze
>Mandrake comes closest to having the best package for current Windoze users.
>It seems to be the easiest to transition from MS to Linux. I have tested Red
>Hat and Suse as well as Lindows, Lycoris and a few others.
>
>Just my $0.00002

Thanks for the suggestion.  Mandrake has several distinct advantages
over RedHat.  But for business considerations, I would consider RedHat a
safer choice.  Fedora (especially its "unofficial" repository) reminds
me many of the conditions (and the enthusiastic community supports) why
Mandrake branched out from RedHat.  After Novell purchased SuSE,
would-be Linux sysadms now probably have to familiarize themselves also
with SuSE.   However, to me, the combination of Fedora and RHEL may
present the optimum migration path (i.e., satisfying both the
enthusiasts and, eventually, the corporate entities).

B/c our resources (on the island) are extremely limited, if any at all,
I would really like to see ourselves concentrated on Fedora.  Of course,
I am sure many Mandrake users could present equally convincing arguments
for their favorite Linux distro.

BTW, I remember not too long ago, our City's computer system had to be
shut down b/c of certain computer virus (or virii).  Can anyone tell me
around what time frame this happened? And by what virus?  Thanks a whole
bunch.  wayne (Honolulu runs on Windows 2000 and our system adms guard
Microsoft's interest more forcefully than gestapos.)