[luau] Linux in Hawaiian Industry

Keith krjw at optonline.net
Mon Aug 25 15:30:01 PDT 2003

Greetings fellow penguin lovers.  (Penguins in Hawai'i?  Who'd ever
guess?)

I'm a Mainlander (east coast; NY for 24 years, NJ for 4), heading to
Maui with my immediate family in October of this year.  Coming with me
will be 8 years of solid linux experience (since the slackware 1 days),
4 years of which is in industry (granted, with startup companies that
chose Linux for cost-cutting reasons more than anything else).  I
certainly do not want to leave this experience behind; I'd like it to
continue to grow as it has over the past years.  (My friends here joke
about witnessing a "penguin revolution in the tropics".)

I spoke with "halfline" in #hosef on IRC for a little bit earlier and he
suggested that I present my questions to this list.  So, in a nutshell,
what is the position of Linux in Hawaiian commercial industry?  And
what, if anything, is HOSEF doing to promote commercial Linux usage?  I
understand the cost of doing business (and hiring full-time employees,
for that matter) is very high.  Linux is a logical cost-cutting
solution, at least from a computing perspective, and it would amaze me
if businesses don't at least consider using it.

All of your feedback will be greatly appreciated.  I'm finding it rather
difficult to locate potential employment opportunities in this field
(sys admining/sys programming) over there.

Thanks for your time!

Aloha!
krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]
"I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically."
       -- George "Dubuhyuh" Bush, Washington, DC, March 29, 2001