[luau] Linux Gaming Today

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Sun Aug 24 22:55:00 PDT 2003

Hi All,

    Just FYI,  there is a group of guys trying to organize local gamers
so that LAN parties and similar events can be announced and "marketed".
Their site is at   http://hawaiigamingheadquarters.com/ .  I spoke to
Earl, who runs the site, and he seems like a nice guy - fairly positive
about Linux as a gaming platform, but gamers don't really care -
whatever runs their game most easily or with the highest frame rate.  I
stopped by McKinley to see what Michael had put together, and ran into a
number of Windoze gamers running mostly first person shooters.  I'm sure
that those guys would love to play with Linux gamers - as long as
everything works correctly.
    Another note - I purchased NeverWinter Nights for Linux from Tux
Games several months ago simply to support Linux gaming.  I finally
installed it yesterday, and I'm pleased to say it runs beautifully.
Another great game for Linux.

-Jeff