[luau] Redhat 9.0 and video woes

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Apr 30 22:20:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 22:07, Matt Darnell wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:17:04PM -1000, Matt Darnell wrote:
> > > Does anyone know how to override the video subsystem auto
> > > detect and force it to use the standard VESA driver?
> >
> > Is redhat-config-xfree86 what you want? For a more bare-metal
> > approach, there is xf86config or vim. :)
>
> When ever I try to load RH 9.0 and use the graphical setup X screws
> everything up.  RH 8.0 works fine because it loads the generic VESA driver,
> 9.0 loads a "better" driver that screws everything up.  I would like to
> force it to use the VESA driver.
>
> -M

[root at laptop /]$ redhat-config-xfree86 --help
Usage: redhat-config-xfree86 [OPTIONS]
  -h, --help        display this help and exit
  -v, --verbose     display what the program is doing more verbosely
  -o, --output=     the filename of the config file to be output
      --reconfig    don't base configuration on existing config files
      --noui        don't show the gui, implicit when using --set
options
      --forceui     force the ui to be shown, needed when using --set
options
                    to change some setting, but you still want to show
the ui
      --set-<key>=  change the value of a specific configuration key.

        currently supported keys are:

        resolution  the screen resolution used
        depth       the color depth in bits
                    most drivers support 8, 15, 16 and 24
        driver      the graphics card driver to use
        card        the graphics card description to use
                    e.g. 'ATI Radeon (generic)'
        vsync       monitor vertical sync rates allowed (in Hz)
        hsync       monitor horizontal sync rates allowed (in kHz)
        videoram    the amount of videoram in kilobytes, 0 means probe

Try different different combinations of options.  I'm guessing this
would work:
redhat-config-xfree86 --set-driver=vesa --reconfig

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com