[luau] Redhat 9.0 and video woes

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Apr 28 14:55:01 PDT 2003

Similar thing happened on my desktop computer. It recognizes the correct
video card, but when it brings up X, its all messed up. I can run Mandrake
9.1 and RH8 fine. Its looks like something is wrong with X Windows in RH 9.
I think RH is trying to compete with the other desktop distros and toss in
new technology. So I am staying away from 9 and going with either RH8 or
Debian. The server versions of RH are supposed to be much more stable with
new technology taking a while to make its way in after extensive testing. I
sure hope that the Red Hat is not turning into a butterfly of the M$ genus.

Now on the other hand Mandrake 9.1 is GREAT! Its better than 9.0 like its
suppose to be. ;-P

Michael

"Maddog" <maddog at heavymetalradio.net>@videl.ics.hawaii.edu on 04/28/2003
01:15:42 PM

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

Sent by:    luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

To:    <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
cc:

Subject:    [luau] Redhat 9.0 and video woes

I am running RH 9.0 (fresh install) on my Toshiba Satellite 1415 - S173
with
Invidia GeForce 420 Go graphics controller. RH 8.0 Ran fine with this
setup.
Whenever the screen blanks and I wake up the laptop the creen in divided
into 2 sections Horizontally. The tool bar that resides on the bottom of
the
screen is in the middle of the screen. I have disabled Power Management and
the screen saver to no avail The problem is alleviated when I log out of X
and log back in. It really is rather irritating to have to keep doing this.
Especially when working on a document.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,
Maddog