[luau] VC switching under Redhat 9

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Apr 27 23:59:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 23:07, Eric Jeschke wrote:
> Last night I upgraded one of my systems from Redhat 8 to Redhat 9.
> Everything seems groovy except that I cannot switch virtual consoles
> under X any more, as I could under 8.
>
> A little experimentation shows that it will allow this if I am logged in
> as root.  It does not matter whether I am running Gnome or KDE if I am
> logged in as an ordinary user.
>
> I tried putting the following in my XF86Config:
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option  "DontVTSwitch"          "off"
>         Option  "DontZap"               "off"
> EndSection
>
> A review of the X log file shows the directives are affirmed, but I am
> still not allowed to switch VCs.
>
> My guess is that this is a "security" setting that is buried below X in
> the system itself.  I cannot find a configuration option for it in any
> of the system configuration dialogs.
>
> Anyone know how I can fix this?  I gotta have VC switching.  My wife and
> I run simultaneous X sessions on this box and just switch to our desktop
> when we walk up to the machine--very handy.
>
> Other than that Redhat 9 is great.  It seems noticably faster than
> Redhat 8.  OpenOffice loads MUCH quicker.

I haven't heard any reports like this.  What is your video card?

Try the following
1) init 3
2) Backup your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and erase it from that location.
3) redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

Choose options then save.  Start X again.

If that didn't help, please let me know and I have more debugging
ideas.  We may need to file a report.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com