[luau] VC switching under Redhat 9

Eric Jeschke jeschke at ahi.uhh.hawaii.edu
Sun Apr 27 23:27:22 PDT 2003

Last night I upgraded one of my systems from Redhat 8 to Redhat 9.
Everything seems groovy except that I cannot switch virtual consoles
under X any more, as I could under 8.

A little experimentation shows that it will allow this if I am logged in
as root.  It does not matter whether I am running Gnome or KDE if I am
logged in as an ordinary user.

I tried putting the following in my XF86Config:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontVTSwitch"          "off"
        Option  "DontZap"               "off"
EndSection

A review of the X log file shows the directives are affirmed, but I am
still not allowed to switch VCs.

My guess is that this is a "security" setting that is buried below X in
the system itself.  I cannot find a configuration option for it in any
of the system configuration dialogs.

Anyone know how I can fix this?  I gotta have VC switching.  My wife and
I run simultaneous X sessions on this box and just switch to our desktop
when we walk up to the machine--very handy.

Other than that Redhat 9 is great.  It seems noticably faster than
Redhat 8.  OpenOffice loads MUCH quicker.

--Eric

Eric Jeschke
http://redskiesatnight.com/