[luau] What does Everyone think of ACT221?

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Fri Apr 25 09:57:01 PDT 2003

As I understand it, there are a few cases of abuse that should be
remedied.  This does not merit the public smear campaign that the Lingle
administration and now the Star-Bulletin seem to endorse.  By smear
campaign I mean publicly berating the entire Act for the offenses of a
few.  By doing so, I am yet to see an informed discussion of specific
problems that can be remedied with specific proposals.

This is a problem.  I depend on my newspaper to research both sides of
an issues and offer an investigative report.  I am getting propaganda
without proposals.  From our Governor, a Republican no less, I expect a
good reason why we need to take more money out of our economy and put it
in the Government.  This belies the supply-side philosophy her party and
presumably she embraces.

I think that the Act is amazing.  Nothing has motivated me to try harder
to create a technology company than this.  My motivation is experiencing
undue anxiety, though, because I do not know what steps my Government
will take to change this Act.  Business hates uncertainty, and Lingle is
creating *way* too much uncertainty.  She needs to suggest exactly what
needs to be changed and then propose it.  Period.

What we have now are sweeping criticisms of an Act that is supposedly
corrupt and is lacking proof of success.  If our media and our
Government would spend the same amount of time researching and reporting
specific abuses and successes, we would be far more informed and capable
of taking action.  The FUD cloud we are now in benefits only the
decision-makers.

I think Act 221 is visionary for a State that depends on the good will
and generosity of complete strangers who decide to travel here and pay
inflated resort prices for a vacation.  There is no sustainability in
this.  What Act 221 needs is a visionary leader to implement it.

scott