[luau] Beheading Servers

Wayne Bow sysadmin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Wed Apr 23 14:11:02 PDT 2003

Finally!  Something I *know* something about!

I've tried several permutations to make this work. The fastest,
smoothest that I've found is connecting via SSH and using that to
create a secure tunnel for a VNC session. I'm using DSL (768/128)
on one end and an Oceanic connection (3MB/1.5MB) on the other
and things run pretty well...although not quite as fast as using
PCAnywhere on two Windows boxes.

I've also tried SSH and X-forwarding an X session to a Cygwin
environment running on a Windows box. That was not nearly as
clean even when running on a 10MB LAN but could be configuration
issues on my part.

I run my box at home headless and at init level 3. When I log into
the SSH session I su to the user I want to create the VNC session
with and start VNC. That way yoiu have only one hole thru your
firewall, the port for SSH. Then I use WinVNC to connect and
receive the desktop of the user that started the VNC session. On the
10MB LAN at home I can 'full-screen' the session and its as if I'm
sitting at the computer in question. Server is Celeron 1GHz, I
connect using an Athlon 1800+ machine (approx 1.5GHz IIRC)

HTH,
WB