[luau] Linux Project for HNLC...?

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Thu Apr 17 05:46:00 PDT 2003

Share out a directory on the Windows machine.  Mount this share on the
Linux side somewhere under your www docs root directory (using smbmount or
mount -t smbfs).

I personally would not mount the www doc root directly to the
mounted machine but would link a subdirectory under it to
/mnt/something or directly somewhere under the root.

I assume you want easy access to the doc root directory via the windows
machine and do not want to keep uploading files back and forth to the
Apache machine.  The easiest way to do that would be the reverse of what
you asked for.  Use Samba on the Apache machine and share out your www doc
root and connect to it from the win machine, then save your html files
directly to the apache machine.

A typical www share in the smb.conf would look like this:

[www]
        comment = risc-www
        path = /var/www
        valid users = yuser
        admin users = yuser
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0755

The valid users and admin users parameters allow only myself (yuser) to
connect to this share and actions I do on the share will be as root on the
server end.  Your file mask and need for root on the server end may be
different.

I use the above example now and also share each users
home
directory and it works great (path = /home/%u so they can see and modify
their own pages from Windows and save to their own public_html directory.)