[luau] Linux Project for HNLC...?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Apr 14 22:52:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 16:35, Noli wrote:
> Is there a way to direct a linux computer running Apache to route http hits
> to a Windows directory holding html docs?  Maybe a virtual host directing to
> a local pc within a LAN (running NAT) so as to easily create web pages in
> Windows?
>
> Is there a good easy web development software for LInux?
>
> Thanks/Noli

The most reliable way of doing this would be to run Samba server on your
Linux web server.  Your Windows boxes can mount your Samba shares as if
it were a Windows file server.  There are however a lot of security
things you would need to be careful about if you try to set this up.  Be
careful, make sure you apply all security patches at all times.  You may
want to consider some of the upcoming Linux classes to be held at
McKinley community school or Honolulu Community College in order to
learn how to use these Linux server stuff effectively and securely.
(Announcements of those are coming soon.)

What kind of web development are you talking about?  If you mean HTML
editing and layout design, the editors tend to be more like powerful
text editors.  I haven't tried it yet myself, but people say good things
about Bluefish.  There are probably others.

Real web development with dynamic scripts and database is where Linux
shines though.  You need to know programming to do this, but your
capabilties are far beyond what is possible with simple static pages.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com