[luau] Administrivia: Reply-To header removed

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Apr 13 18:33:00 PDT 2003

Eric Hattemer wrote:
> I think the second article makes much more sense.  There's only a few
> mail programs in the world that support "reply to group" functionality.
> I was looking at the archive on the internet and was impressed by how
> threaded it was.  This will not continue if people have to go out of
> their way to make new messages that go just to luau.  And reply to all
> (which is what most people are going to start using) is going to bug
> anyone that posted and doesn't want to go through the trouble to make
> some fancy duplicate mail filter.  And yes, Warren, you are getting two
> copies of this mail in protest.  The first message was written by
> someone who strangely assumed the whole world uses mail programs
> designed for mailing-lists, or would like to receive two copies of every
> message.  I'm sure there's reply-to-group in elm and mutt and whatever,
> but there is no such function in OE, outlook, netscape, eudora, and I'm
> assuming AOL, which probably make up for 99% of American mail clients.
> I'm using mozilla right now, which has no such function.  But if you do
> decide to change it, please tell someone.  I'm sure a lot of people were
> thrown off that the reply button they had always hit no longer functions
> the way they expect.
> -Eric Hattemer

Here here! I'll second this.

Mozilla mail doesn't allow for the filter setup needed to create a duplicate
mail filter (I've been using the [luau] in the subject OR to: *contains*
luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu).  Unfortunately, all mail clients handle reply all
differently.  Some will CC the list and To me, in which case the second alone
will work (as long as I remove the first [luau] subject based one), but some
send mail to both people in the To: field.

Also, it looks like Mozilla is nice enough to keep CCing people.  Notice that
now there's two "things" CCed (Warren and the list).  This will keep growing if
people keep using reply all to continue the thread.  I don't see this as a good
thing.

--MonMotha