[Fwd: Re: [luau] Group Policies for Linux]

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Apr 12 23:53:01 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 12:50, Eric Hattemer wrote:
> You are correct.  It was added to the 2.5 kernels, and possibly the late
> 2.4.20 or so kernels.  I've seen it here and there.  I can't comment on
> where.  It might be a patch redhat put in there, or a 2.5 thing, but
> facls were added to linux kernel in the last 6 months.  You might be
> able to find utilities for them somewhere.
>
> -Eric Hattemer

Red Hat 9 was testing ACL and extended attribute support during testing
it during the beta period, but it broke NFS so they removed it for the 9
release.  Here's the note within the RHL 9 RELEASE-NOTES:

o Special Note: The ACL support added to the kernel in the first two
public beta releases proved to be unstable and caused the kernel to
regress. Red Hat has therefore removed that ACL support from the kernel
for Red Hat Linux 9. Kernel engineers will continue work on improving
the ACL support, which will be available in a future release. The attr
and acl packages needed to support ACLs are still included to make it
easier for users and developers who wish to test ACLs. Red Hat may, at
our discretion, provide ACL support for this release of Red Hat Linux by
means of an upgrade, if future testing demonstrates that the ACL support
has sufficiently improved in quality.

I personally would use ACL support in some of my servers, and if Red
Hat's kernel doesn't officially provide that feature yet I would just
compile my own kernel.  I haven't compiled a kernel for this before, but
I'm sure it isn't that hard.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com