[luau] Linux Certification

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 10 21:16:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 20:15,
Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us wrote:
> What certification would you guys recommend? Whats worth getting and of
> value? I've seen Linux+, LPI and Red Hat. Have I missed any? If you have
> Linux certification, how was it, was it hard, was it worth it, would you
> get it again?
>
> Thank you.
> Michael

Linux+ is the poorest Linux certification.  Politically CompTIA is NOT
the friend of the Open Source Community
(http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/14/0353221&mode=thread).
If possible please take LPI instead of Linux+.

LPI is fairly good in that it has multiple levels, curriculum and exams
are built by the community and completely vendor neutral.  It is also
low cost and computer training institutions here could probably become
testing centers fairly easily.

RHCE is the most prestigious of Linux certifications.  Unlike Linux+ and
LPI, you CANNOT just cram to pass this exam.  RHCE exam is both multiple
choice and lab exam similar to CCIE, something you can pass only if you
truly understand Red Hat Linux system administration.  RHCE has a fairly
high fail rate for examination.  Drawback: it is very expensive compared
to Linux+ and LPI.

I personally think that if someone can pass RHCE, they know Linux system
administration.  I wouldn't immediately jump to that conclusion if
somebody had Linux+ or the lower levels of LPI, although upper level LPI
is pretty good.

RH also has a lower level certification called RHCT now.  I haven't read
anything about the quality of this exam yet.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com