[luau] Linux not an end to end Solution?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 10 12:24:43 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 11:00, Chris Stark wrote:
> Hi Virgil,
>
> Do you need links to actual research?  I don't have it immediately
> available, but I'm sure I could dig it up for you.  Although Linux
> cannot perform the duties of a Windows Active Directory (yet), the cost
> and performance are extremely attractive to anyone who doesn't have a
> limitless IT budget.
>
> Windows->Windows has the advantage of being able to use Active
> Directory, but the reality is that AD is very under-deployed. MS is
> somewhat concerned about this lack of adoption and is actually
> attempting to force deployment of AD with its new Win2K3 server.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/roadmap-3.html
Look at the Samba 3.0 development tree roadmap to have an idea of where
Samba is heading.  More and more Windows server/client features are
always coming.

[snip]

> Nobody is claiming that Linux is overtaking MS, but the evidence that
> Linux is gaining mass favor is overwhelming.  If this yahoo doesn't
> think it's true, he's quite simply ignoring reality and religiously in
> favor of Microsoft at the expense of looking like a fool.

Linux is not the best in all market segments yet, but it is quickly
becoming very good for higher end computing.  Every day Linux and Open
Source Software asymptotically approaches greatness on all fronts.  We
will be there eventually.

http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html
Read this extensive overview of our current status.  Impressive... and
we will only grow.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com