[luau] more service deletion issues

TB tburns at despammed.com
Wed Apr 9 11:00:01 PDT 2003

And now, our story continues....

> > How can I tell if I need atd? Just turn it off &
see
> > if anything explodes?
>
> man at
> man atd

In the context of the "services turned on by default
by redhat or whatever distro" what I meant was, how do
I tell if redhat has set up some at jobs. Answer is,
execute "atq" as root.

> > How can I tell whether I'm actually using crond or
> > anacron? Or both?
>
> ps auxww | grep cron
> chkconfig --list | grep :on | grep cron

Again, in this context the result of the above just
tells me they're running, not whether I am actually
using them. Is it ever a good idea to run both? Red
Hat apparently set up some anacron jobs, but I can't
find any cron jobs, should I turn cron off if I don't
intend to use it myself?

> > How can I tell if something local is using
sendmail
> > for logging?
>
> You mean syslog? See /var/log.

Well, I mean how do I know if some background job is
using sendmail for some legitimate purpose so I don't
want to turn it off. Looking in /var/log did not clue
me in. I'm just turning it off, let's see what
happens.

Also...

When I execute "chkconfig sendmail off" and then
"chkconfig --list|grep sendmail" I get:

sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:off   4:off
 5:off   6:off

Do I want to turn it off on run level 2? What is level
2? I tried man chkconfig, man runlevel, and man rc.d &
got no clue. Where should I be looking?

cheers,

TB