[luau] Re:Governor's website

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Apr 2 06:25:00 PST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 12:50:33AM -1000, Virgil wrote:
> I'm not sure if Hawaii.gov uses plone or even Zope for their
> website. In fact I highly doubt it.

# HEAD http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/ | grep ^Server
Server: Zope/(Zope 2.6.1 (binary release, python 2.1, linux2-x86),
python 2.1.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1b1

http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/

I am quite amazed on how little it looks like a typical plone
site. I am rather curious at how _long_ it took to un-plone most
of its looks.

> Plone is a well organized CMS based on object oriented Python
> language. Its main features are that its very customizable, and
> has a design that is well structured and encompasses the entire
> site so that each sub page is in sync with the main page. Its
> behavior is similar to PHP CMS sites like PHPNuke but much more
> simple and easy to customize. Its also more secure than PHPNuke
> and the admin can allow access to certain parts of the site for
> customization on the web.

Like you said _customizable_. View the source to find the
pattern /plone/ sprinkled all over. And, if you are familiar
with managing a zope site, try to manage it, and you will see an
authentication page pop up. (How to do so is public information,
if you know where to look.)

> Well I said my piece. Maybe it was just the long day that I had
> for being so grumpy. My apologizes if I sounded that way.

Regarding content, I agree it is lacking, but acknowledge that it
is a start.

-Vince