[luau] RH8

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Sep 30 18:25:01 PDT 2002

Hi Alvin,

Could you please describe the overheating problems you were experiencing?  I
myself haven't seen those problems while I was working with Red Hat 7.3 on a
Presario 722US.

None of the current distributions would be any different when it comes to
fan or thermal control because they all use APM while all of these newer
machines require ACPI.  ACPI is needed for the CPU stepping features in
modern mobile processors to run at lower speeds to conserve battery power,
as well as control the cooling fans and report on battery info.  ACPI for
Linux is currently in heavy development by the kernel gurus.  Alan Cox told
me a month ago that Linux was perhaps "3 months away" from working ACPI.

This means that none of the current distributions will probably ship with
ACPI default until probably the next stable kernel which will probably be
2.6 or 3.0.  Until then you should build your own kernels anyway for laptop
hardware, because that's the only way to take advantage of power saving
features and properly run the ACPI controlled devices.