[luau] Harsh review of RH 8

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Sep 30 15:52:00 PDT 2002

I agree 100%.  Mandrake 9 is sweet.  RH is pretty frustrating
sometimes.  Everything that I found wrong in RH works beautifully in
mandrake.  I think one reason for this is the difference in their beta
mailing lists.  I was a member of both.  The mdk guys are so nice and
they fix problems like nothing.  I told them that evolution freaks out
in security level 4 or 5.  One guy emailed me back saying that I
shouldn't be running it in security level 4 or 5 (server class
machine).  So I thought that was the end of it.  Then within a week (I
think it was the next day), he said he fixed it.  That was amazing.  RH
limbo guys tend to just refuse to fix stuff or defer it to the company
that provides the program.  The mandrake control center is really great,
and the start menu is well organized (the "what to do" section feels a
little dumbed down winXP-ish, but it actually does help the
organization).  Really, if all you've been using is redhat, you should
certainly try mandrake.  Its sweet.  I was never this excited about
redhat.  One of the cooler functions is that you can set up multiple
mirrors for the urpmi command (similar to up2date).  Its a bit tricky,
but well worth the trouble.

-Eric Hattemer