[luau] Mandrake 9 & Geforce4 Ti4200

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Sep 30 08:08:12 PDT 2002

I don't think the downable nVidia source rpms work with the 2.4.19
kernel, yet.  I installed the GLX and kernel source rpms on a system
with GeForce4 MX420 and they screwed up my Mandrake 9.0 solid--I
probably need to reinstall the whole thing.  Ditto for Red Hat 8.0 Null.

For the time being, the workaround seems to be selecting the "Integrated
DDR GeForce2" as your video card.  It works OK for Mandrake 9.0.

 From my limited experience, the only distro with 2.4.19 kernel that
works with GeForce4 card is Xandros (beta 3).  Perhaps I should not have
written off Xandros so quickly.  I have heard that, for networking with
Windows, Xandros does the best job.

I'll be out of state for the most of October.  Anyone interested in
testing Xandros, please post it to me or write to me.