[luau] Mandrake 9 & Geforce4 Ti4200

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sat Sep 28 22:19:00 PDT 2002

I would have figured it would default to the framebuffer drivers like it
did for my card.  But anyhow, here's what you do.   First go to
www.nvidia.com .  Select drivers, graphics, GeForce, then linux.  Grab
NVIDIA_GLX source rpm.  Grab NVIDIA_kernel source rpm.  Then get those
to your linux machine (either copy the links and wget, or put them on a
fat32 partition and just mount it in linux).  Then install both of those
packages using the rpm command (*not urpmi).
rpm -ivh NVIDIA*.rpm
This puts them in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES .
now get kernel source
urpmi kernel-source

cd /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES
tar xvzf *GLX*.tar.gz
tar xvzf *kernel*.tar.gz
cd NVIDIA_kernel-<numbers>
gmake install
cd NVIDIA_GLX-<numbers>
gmake install

<editor (ie. emacs)> /etc/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
find the driver line where it probably says "nv"
replace the nv with nvidia
save
reboot (I know you don't strictly have to boot, but its easiest and a
good test)
you should be set.

-Eric Hattemer