[luau] NFS problem

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 19 11:18:00 PDT 2002

>I had some trouble starting the nfs daemons, then I found a good page at redhat
><http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-export.html>
>that got me going. But I still cannot share the directory, when I try I get
>a message about "the remote directory is invalid". I am trying to mount from
>an SGI station (running IRIX 6.5.15, should be okay), there are no other linux
>boxes in the lab.

That's too bad, it would be good to see if linux clients work for
troubleshooting.
Make sure that you have the port mapper running. /etc/init.d/portmap
status should say
started.  If it doesn't then run /etc/init.d/portmap start and then
/sbin/chkconfig portmap on

Check this URL, too:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/troubleshooting.html#SYMPTOM3

actually you might want to read the whole howto:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/

>Could it be the filesystem format (ext3) causing a problem?

No.

>Also, I want to use this setup with some SGI/IRIX clients running 6.5.10, which
>has an NFS bug. Upgrading IRIX on the other SGs would fix it, but that is not
>really an option right now.

Just did a quick search and it seems that you can add vers=2 as a mount
option
for your IRIX clients to force them to use v2 NFS which doesn't have the
problem.

>There is a linux patch at <ftp://ftp.moving-picture.com/private/james/>

That patch is for an old version of kernel and it no doubt won't apply
to recent
versions of the kernel.  You'll probably have to try to manually
integrate it
yourself, but...the patch (in one form or another) might already be
integrated into
the main tree, so you might want to check kernel changelogs and such.

--Ray