[luau] NFS problem

burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 19 10:05:01 PDT 2002

I'm trying to get NFS working on a fairly minimal system, Redhat 7.3. On install
I chose the server setup, minus xwindows (had trouble with the graphics card,
don't need x anyhow) and with no firewall, made sure  NFS was installed.

/etc/exports has one entry as follows:

/abyss 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0(rw)

/abyss is a directory where I mounted the secondary hard drive. I want to share
it, obviously. Anyone see anything wrong with this?

I had some trouble starting the nfs daemons, then I found a good page at redhat
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-nfs-export.html>
that got me going. But I still cannot share the directory, when I try I get
a message about "the remote directory is invalid". I am trying to mount from
an SGI station (running IRIX 6.5.15, should be okay), there are no other linux
boxes in the lab.

To troubleshoot I tried changing /etc/exports to:

/abyss 192.168.1.55

thats the ip# of the machine I'm using to test. I restarted nfs daemons, but
still no go. I'm using ip#s because the linux box seems to have some trouble
with dns, but pings okay with ips. Maybe I should try to fix that first.

Could it be the filesystem format (ext3) causing a problem?

???

Also, I want to use this setup with some SGI/IRIX clients running 6.5.10, which
has an NFS bug. Upgrading IRIX on the other SGs would fix it, but that is not
really an option right now. There is a linux patch at <ftp://ftp.moving-picture.com/private/james/>
(it forces linux to use 32bit file handles to make the SGs happy) but I am too
much of a newbie to have a clue how to install the patch. Any suggestions where
I can do my homework/manufacture a clue?

Dazzled Dave