[luau] Linux AV

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 18 13:47:00 PDT 2002

gutierrej001 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> Do you guys know of a good commercial grade antivirus for Linux?
> any recommendations?
> this doesn't have to be free just reliable and overall good.
> TIA
>
> Julio

The question always arises as to the reason.  Most of the AV products
are scanners for things like mail servers and proxies to detect an
remove Windows virii (yes I know that's not a word).  There are no known
Linux virii to date (at least not that have existed out of AV makers'
labs and/or propagate in any semi-sane way, ie any way that doesn't
require root).

Worms there are, but virii I know none of.  Most likely anything you buy
will have lots of neat little dials and lights, but do nothing useful.
Investing in a good IDS (one that checks checksums of core system bins
and configs every so often) is probably the best thing to do right now.
  Remember that virus scanners inherenetly involve a pretty hefty
performance penalty (as they usually intercept the exec() and related
calls to "scan" the binary to be run before allowing the exec to proceede).

--MonMotha