[luau] NETWORKING PROBLEM

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Sep 17 19:17:00 PDT 2002

Jason Smallwood wrote:
> I just changed from a networking HUB to a LINKSYS ETHERFAST Workgroup
> Switch.  However, I cannot get my workstations to talk to the
> router/firewall.

A hub should act no different from a switch as far as layer 3 protocols
(such as IP) are concerned.  The change from a hub to a switch should
not have affected your ability to speak with your router.  Please
elaborate on what this "router" is.  Is it built in to the switch, a
separate "dumb" (dedicated, such as by linksys) device, or a PC, such as
a Linux box?

> I also cannot ping the workstations from the
> router/firewall.  I am trying to run DHCP, but cannot tell if that is
> working either since none of the systems are talking to one another.  I am
> running straight through cabling, but not sure if I need to run a cross over
> from the router/firewall to the switch.

Check your link lights.  If it doesn't link, there's either a
transceiver problem somewhere (such as autonegotiation failing, which
some people report happens all the time, but I've *never* had a problem
with).  If all checks out, you're using the wrong type of cable.

Crossovers are only needed to connect a hub/switch to another hub/switch
or computer to computer.  As long as you are going from hub/switch to
computer, you use a straight through cable.

> Currently running Red Hat 7.1 Kernel 2.4.9-31 with MonMotha Firewall script
> 2.3.7.

Ugly, ugly kernel as far as netfilter is concerned (there's at least one
patch known completely BROKEN [the string match] against that particular
kernel, at least the vanilla servers).  Be aware that if you have
problems with it I'm probably going to ask you to upgrade to a more
recent kernel.  Script version's fine though (unless you need some of
the new features) as nothing was "broken" (other than known bugs, which
are mostly obscure features being broken).

> Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to respond with more info if you still need
help.

> Jason

--MonMotha