[luau] Oceanic Linux Mirror - Donations Needed

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Sep 15 19:08:01 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 06:11, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> > I can donate one or two rack-mount servers for this. My only ask is that
> > Debian be one of the mirrors (maybe you are considering this already).
> > Each box is an Intel 815 board, it has 2x256MB RAM, 933 PIII, 10/100
> > Intel NIC, etc. Unfortunately they only have 14GB disk. I can also
> > donate a stonking big 19" rack if you need it.
>
> I will definitely donate another high capacity drive or something like that
> to the project.  I was thinking a bit about a 3ware raid controller.  If not
> it, at least an ata100 controller.  Since Tim has the same debian objectives,
> maybe we can see it returned to the mirror like it used to be.  Perhaps in a
> fuller form instead of just iso's.
>
> scott

Yesterday I was looking at the structure of the Debian mirroring
system.  Having figured that out, I now plan on adding all three
branches, stable, testing and unstable, to one of our two mirrors
(probably Videl).  I am in the process of cleaning out some junk from
Videl in order to make room.  Videl could probably use additional
capacity, but Videl's current case probably can't handle another hard
drive... worried about overheating.

Please be aware that Oceanic is only able to host the mirror on the
condition that traffic to/from the Internet is fairly small.  Because of
this extremely small amount of Internet bandwidth, FTP connections will
only be allowed from clients within Oceanic's business network and
RoadRunner customers.

We wont leave Hawaii DSL folks in the cold.  MonMotha is currently
working on HTB QoS for Videl, allowing us to allocate a certain amount
of bandwidth for different networks.  More details will be posted once
this is in place.

As for the hard drive for the Oceanic mirror, I was thinking about a
120GB hard drive.  I think that is the maximum that Tim Burgess'
rackmount server will support without adding a PCI ATA133 card.  I would
like to share the cost of a 120GB drive with anyone else willing to
contribute.  Susan Chouinard just pledged $50 toward this drive.  Anyone
else?

Anyone know a good vendor with the best price for a 120GB IDE hard
drive?

Warren