[luau] Advertiser: Beware of Using Word 97 & Beyond

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 13 10:25:00 PDT 2002

<Every .doc file is potentially HIV-positive, a potential AIDS virus
carrier.  But most people don't care until they get infected.>

Today's business section of Honolulu Advertiser has an article
discussing what I just mentioned.  The problem actually extends
to Word 2000 and XP.

I am sensing that not everyone here realizes the gravity of this
problem.

MS Office achieved its ubiquity exactly because business
professionals (mainly lawyers, investment bankers, journalists,
book editors, etc.) have adopted the habit of requiring
documents be provided in .doc format so that they can be easily
revised and sent back and re-revised.

According to this Advertiser article, Microsoft indicated that
it is obligated to fix the bugs in Word2000 and WordXP,
but does not plan to do anything about Word97.