[luau] Have a drink at the Elks?

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 23:32:01 PDT 2002

I don't think I am allowed to disclose the membership fees in public.
 But I'll try to  give you an idea.

The Outrigger Club, which is right next door, has an initiation fee of
$10K (a couple of years ago it charged $5K if you are under 40).  The
initiation fee at Elks is about an order of magnitude lower.

Most other clubs also require a monthly fee and minimum consumption of
at least a couple of hundred dollars.  That will be good enough to pay
for the whole year at Elks.

If you have friends/clients/relatives/clients from the mainland or
foreign countries, taking them to Elks on a late winter afternoon (to
watch sunset) will give them the most memorable experience (especially
if they stay in a posh hotel in Waikiki).  At least that's what I have
been told.  Time after time.