[luau] samba spanking

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 11:23:00 PDT 2002

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Firewall.  Did I mention that I had monmotha's firewall on the 7.2 boxes?  I
> had enabled port 139, but, no go.  Just a little while a go I decided to
> flush  the chains.  On the one hand, and to the dismay of about 25 users,
> this shut down the interface to all traffic.  Once resolved, though, I was
> suddenly able to browse the shares, from everywhere.  Ouch.
>
> Samba is a wonderful thing.  It works like the proverbial charm, except for
> these rare occasions when the admin breaks it.  For those of you who have
> not used it, don't let my panicked post fool you.  It is rather seemless to
> use.  Sorry for the wasted traffic.
>
> scott

NetBIOS name resolution works by using broadcast.  This means that you
will need to allow udp port 138 (I believe, whatever netbios-ns is) from
255.255.255.255 if general broadcast is used (as opposed to the subnet
broadcast, the last address in the subnet, which is included in your
INTERNAL_LAN setting).  This poses a problem similar to DHCP.

Run my script, then "iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 138 -i <lan
interface> -s 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT" should fix the problem.

--MonMotha