[luau] 9/10/2002 - MPLUG Status... HELP!

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Sep 11 07:47:00 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:

> MPLUG Status 9/10/2002
>
> Warren is Busy
> --------------
> I'm really busy with school and there's tons happening below.  HELP!!!
>
> Warren speaking at BILUG meeting September 21st
> --------------
> I've been invited by Big Island Linux Users Group to speak at their next
> meeting about our Linux for Schools efforts on Saturday, September 21st
> at University of Hawaii Hilo.  They will have some educators at that
> meeting too.
> http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/BILUG/
> BILUG homepage
>
> Computer Expo is Canceled
> --------------
> I've just been informed by Dave Kobashigawa that Computer Expo 2002 will
> be cancelled.  Official announcement is due out soon.
> Crap.  There went our two booths for 5 days and two keynotes, including
> the "Linux for Schools" keynote that would have been to 200-300
> educators.  I hope we can find another expo or convention where we can
> exhibit and have that keynote.  Any ideas?
>
> Two Linux Training Classes in Town
> --------------
> CompUSA and Terabiz locally have upcoming Linux classes for some kind of
> Linux certification.  I don't remember the details at the moment, I will
> need to dig those up.  Will post again later about this.
>
> CompUSA "Linux for Business Demo Day"
>
> IBM/RedHat meeting?
> --------------
> Dan, what is the status of these upcoming meetings?
>
> Non-Profit Corporation Registration
> --------------
> Sorry Scott I didn't get a chance to call you yet.  Perhaps we should
> discuss on list about the corporation registration stuff (except for the
> board choosing) on list because the Articles of Incorporation will be on
> public record anyway.  We need some of the following:
>
> * Choose the Foundation name.
> * Fix up our Articles of Incorporation
> * Pick initial board members
> * Some smaller details like mission statement will need to be written.
> I'm thinking about this.  Any suggestions?
>
> Hawaii Linux Mirror situation
> ----------------
> UH got a bit angry with Videl today when she began pushing 50-70mbit/sec
> consistently all day due to the release of Linux Mandrake 9.0 rc2.  I'm
> forced to throttle Videl down to 10mbit/sec for now until I clarify the
> situation.  I suspect that I will not be able to get more bandwidth. =(
>
> I am now hoping that I can get a mirror onto Oceanic's network in order
> to improve accessibility to the majority of us in Hawaii.  We were
> limited between UH and Oceanic by a 10mbit link.  I suspect that if we
> can get a mirror onto Oceanic's network we can have high bandwidth to
> Roadrunner people, and rate limited bandwidth to everyone else.  If
> Oceanic agrees to a Linux mirror, we will need to provide a server.  I
> will ask for donations when/if this occurs.

> [...]
#####################
Wayne and gurus,

Some Ideas for the LTSP since the Expo is out.

Small Business Hawaii is supposed to have a business/computer show this
fall.
Call 396-1724 to see what they are doing. Sam Sloam is the man.

Failing that we could have a school day ourselves for all the interested
schools. Maybe the great folks at Mid Pac would let us use their place
to hold it. It would certainly set the success and acedimic tone for the
gathering if we could have a gathering there where we have a Linux
working system up and running.

We invite all the schools to come there. Then we can show and tell in
the setting. Some Saturday maybe.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043