[luau] Ruby

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Sep 8 19:32:01 PDT 2002

> How many use Ruby to set up their website?
>
> What are the pros and cons about Ruby?

I haven't actually used Ruby, but I read about it
some time ago.  It is completely
Object Oriented--more so than C++ or even Java.
Even primitives and literals are treated as objects.
It lets you assign code to field access ala C#'s properties,
eliminating the need for setters and getters.  I also
remembering it having some sort of new block structure
that's useful for iterators, but I don't remember the
details (I looked at it a couple years ago).  IIRC, it
uses symbols like perl for different types.  I'm not
sure though.

All in all, if I had to choose, I think I would use
Python over Ruby for many projects, just because I think it
has a cleaner syntax.  But I would probably use PHP for web
stuff.

--Ray