[luau] Beware of Using Word 97

hattenator at imapmail.org hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Sep 8 11:20:01 PDT 2002

Some people actually like fonts and formatting.  You can't even right a
personal letter without rt. align.  I have a couple of professors in
the EE dept. who share your philosophy, and write all their documents
in some solaris text editor, then send it directly to the printer so
that it ends up in some ugly system font.  We all automatically think
its ugly, archaic, and worst of all, l and 1 are the same character
("el" and "one").  Sometimes it helps to put a table or a math equation
in a paper.  I certainly wouldn't submit a resume that I wrote in vi.
But what MonMotha said is true, the usefulness of word processing just
about peaked at word 97.  Most of it you can get done just as rtf.  But
yeah, I imagine copying formating into a new file wouldn't take any
macros or metadata with it, so you could just cut and paste everything
into a new file to get around this bug, as far as I know.  Otherwise
save as an rtf file, and you'll keep all the formating.  Oh, and I was
looking at an old resume I made in word's resume wizard, and it full on
does not work in open office.  It thought it was 48 pages long.  Is
open office looking for bug reports?

-Eric Hattemer

  hattenator at imapmail.org

--