[luau] Plug-&-Play (M$ secret code)

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Sep 7 10:44:00 PDT 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> Initially I was a little confused, but now I really admire the way
> Mandrake 9.0 handles p-n-p.
>
> If you unplug a HD from one PC and plug it into a second PC with a
> different hardware, Mandrake 9.0 will, "for the first time, and only
> first time," sua sponte (automatically), use new drivers for the new
> system.  No questions asked.  You don't need to do any re-configuration.
>
> However, the way Mandrake 9.0 is structured, if you want the HD to stick
> with the new PC, or simply to use it for a second time, then you have to
> re-configure it, which requires a root privilege.  If you do not do the
> re-configuration, the hardware setup will revert back to its original
> state, nothing has been changed--I can see a lot of advantages of this
> arrangement.

I can see a few, but from the way you've worded it, it sounds like you
are implying security...which is definately not true as a person has
physical access to the hard drive.

Personally I like the way Slack handles it...IE it doesn't.  You just
let it boot with a few errors, then go edit what modules to load.  Seems
to work fine for me, but I like command lines :)

--MonMotha