[luau] Beware of Using Word 97

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 7 09:43:01 PDT 2002

<You missed the point George.  This macro-virus problem inherent in
Word97 (and we don't know whether a similar problem exists with
Word2K/WordXP) has nothing to do with internet connection.

Using a separate computer will not solve this problem.>

I probably need to elaborate this a little bit.

In the legal profession (and in many other professions as well),
it is a common practice to receive a .doc file from your client, a
3rd party, or even your opposing counsel.  You are then asked to make
changes to the original .doc file, then send it back, either by
electronic mail, "or by sneaker mail" (thus, internet connection has
nothing to do with this problem; you can use the most secure, isolated
computer in the world--it wouldn't help).

I won't go into the details, but it is fairly easy to write a Word macro,
or as the original post just revealed, even a non-macro, to search your
HD, wrap the intended info into the .doc file that's being editted, and
send the info back to you.

You may argue that you can do the same thing with a java-embedded HTLM
file.  But with an HTML file, you can see the entire source.