[luau] What is 24.165.57.16

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Sep 6 11:36:01 PDT 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> * Just got this message as attached below** which came out as a pop-up
> window**.  I believe it is simply a stupid scare tactic, but what could
> be associated with IP address *24.165.57.16 anyway?
> *

24.165.57.16 is a24b165n57client16.hawaii.rr.com, so I assume that
probably is your IP address.

> The following is part of the message:
>
> Your Computer's Data Is At Risk! (SEE BELOW.)* Your computer's address
> is: 24.165.57.16 . Every time you connect to the Internet, send e-mail,
> or submit any private information to a web site, you broadcast your
> computer's unique IP Address over the Internet.  With this IP address,
> someone can immediately begin attacking your computer! Until now, there
> has been no way of telling if this has happened or any way of stopping
> it!  Well not anymore!
> YOUR COMPUTER'S ADDRESS IS:  24.165.57.16

Well duh, all IP packets contain a source address.  It is imperative
that they do for both routing purposes and the function of higher level
protocols.  You do want a response to your HTTP request, right?

> * What Can Happen To Me?*
>
>    *
>      Steal Your Credit Card & Personal Information!

Wrong.

>    *
>      Read Your E-Mail!

Wrong.

>    *
>      Plant a Virus or Worm!

Wrong.

>    *
>      Steal Online Banking Information!

Wrong.

>    *
>      Delete files from your computer!

Wrong.

All of the above are impossible to do just because someone has your IP
address.  Obtaining a person's IP is trivial (check the headers of mail
messages, your HTTP server logs, etc).  However, that's just the way the
itnernet works, it's not anonymous.

Now, that's not to say the above are completely impossible.  If you have
a service listening on your computer that is vulnerable, an attacker may
be able to eek some information out of it, or possibly run arbitrary
code on your system with the privilages of the service (ranging from the
completely unprivilaged "nobody" to the superuser "root" depending on
the service).  However, this assumes a vulnerible service is running.
Keep up to date on security alerts, and you'll be fine.

> *InternetALERT *is an absolute "_MUST_" for anyone connecting to the
> Internet! It will notify you if someone is breaking into your computer,
> stop them dead in their tracks, and even build a visual map showing you
> the Attacker's ISP (Internet Service Provider) location! You can now
> connect to the Internet with the comfort and security of knowing that no
> one from the Internet can access your computer without your knowledge or
> permission!

Blahde blahde blahde blah...</ignore reason="marketroid">  See above.
Basically it's a sales pitch.  THey're probably trying to sell you a
cheap firewall/IDS, and it's no doubt for Windows.  Again, just because
a person has your IP doesn't mean they can "0wn" you.

--MonMotha