[luau] Nvidia X Server

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Thu Sep 5 22:28:00 PDT 2002

I bit the bullet and swapped out my Radeon 64MB PCI card with a Nvidia Geforce 2 PCI card.

Let's just say that I am impressed...

The swap was due to poor performance in Windows for Neverwinter nights, and the near impossibility of compiling XFree sources to get the Radeon to work in dri mode.

Installation process for Gentoo Linux:

Plug card into PCI slot.
Boot into console mode.
`emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx`
`opengl-update nvidia`
Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to use the 'nvidia' driver.
`startx`

glxgears is giving me 500 fps, and I am able to run Unreal Tournament at 1024x768, 32bit, high-detail at 30+fps. :)

I have installed last month's WineX, but I still have no clue how I am supposed to run my Windows games on it.

/me is itching to play some Monkey Island...

If anybody is interested, I am running a Linux NeverWinter Nights server.  High-fantasy, dress-up online gaming yeah!