[luau] incorporation

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 5 08:18:00 PDT 2002

Warren-

As we discussed before my recent trip, you need at least three (five is
probably the practical minimum) persons to serve as board of directors.

Since I do not see a large board, there is no need to have committees,
at least for the foreseeable future.  However, a "steering" committee
will be very helpful in the pre-incorporation stage, to decide the name,
article of incorporation, by-law, and, more importantly, "advancing" the
cost (such as filing fees).

Also, you need to come out with a list of names to serve as president,
vice president, secretary, and treasurer, each will have specific duties
as mandated by law and supplemented by the by-laws.

(This is for Scott) Name is critically important.  A good name will be
very useful in raising funds.  I know most of you guys/gals, very
admirably so, don't care much about financial extravaganza.  Talk is
easy.  But to run an entity, only money can do the walk.

(Back to Warren)  For non-profit organizations, (for very obvious
purposes) the names are typically quite long.  You can always use
abbreviations as an "aka" (also known as).  Based on what I perceive
this group is planning to do and has been doing, I believe the words
"Educational Foundation" are a must.  Then you have to have a local
flavor, such as "Hawarii," "Mid-Pacific," "Central-Pacific," etc.  What
leaves to be decided is whether you want to call it "Open Source,"
"Affordable Computing," or "Linux/Unix", etc.

Again, these matters can and should be discussed by a "Steering Committee".