[luau] incorporation

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Sep 5 07:29:01 PDT 2002

> This is exactly the direction that I am heading.  Last month I met with
> Wayne and he explained the Articles of Incorporation.  Becoming a true
> non-profit corporation will be the only way we will be able to attract
> large tax-deductible donations from businesses and individuals.   Such
> tax-deductible donations will be necessary in order to be able to
> sustain continuous proactive advocacy, and especially in providing
> hardware and continued support for the "Linux for Schools" projects.

Right.  I suggested this in, I believe, July.  The idea for incorportating
came in reaction to some demands you were thinking about imposing on
prospective schools.  I felt like some schools could not come up with the
resources and that if we were a non-profit we could accept donations that
could help the poorer schools.

Until yesterday I was planning on doing this for our community.  It is clear
that we need it.  It seems like you are busy enough with other things to
spend time with it.  However, after reading the posts from the new mailing
list, as well as this thread, it appears that you and Wayne are working on it.

If you are not too busy to take this on as well, then that's great.  It seems
like perhaps you are too busy.  If I organize the incorporation, you won't
lose control.  You can still be instrumental in choosing the name, or
non-name (luau), and I know that you will be depended upon.  Surely you will
be a key part of the steering committee.  But, do you really have to be in
charge of the incorporation as well?  Do we have time for you to deal with it
in addition to your many other commitments?

I realize, Warren, that the island owes you a huge Aloha for everything that
you do for the linux community.  No one can hold a candle to you.  Apparently
LUAU would not exist without your efforts.  Linux existed before us, though,
and Open Source Software will exist after us.  They key to the success of our
community will be to stay tightly knit without depending on any one
organizing force.

With respect to the name, I don't follow the logic of not using LUAU because
it is a lug name, but then  going with MPLUG because it is not LUAU.  If we
are to use a name rather than an acronym, the I like the The Corporation for
Open Source Education.  I really don't follow the reasoning for why LUAU is
such a no-no.

scott