[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 5 02:54:01 PDT 2002

Jimen Ching wrote:

>Perhaps specialized topics like linux for schools does not belong in a
>general purpose mailing list like Luau.  I believe the idea of censorship
>came up in the past and was shot down.  Of course, videl is your server
>and no one can force you to host a list you don't like.
>
>--jc

Maybe the problem here is that it's too much of a one man show.

I like the idea of moving the Linux for Schools to a separate list.
Since I belong to the "CLUE" (linux list) too,  some of these issues
were debated there also, but the difference seem to be that there was no
one person who really dominated the group.  In the end, it' was business
as usual.

I like opinions, and have no objection to a person expressing their own
feelings, beliefs, and thoughts.  I enjoy controversy.  What I detest is
persons who impose their own personal feelings, and beliefs on others.
 They do it a certain way; and therefore,  they believe everyone should
do it the same way.  Then they go on to impose their way on everyone else.

I always tried to trim my posts going back to the original Luau list,
and suggested that people do it at that time.  At that time some posts
were literally almost miles long because every response to an original
question continued to be included at the bottom of an additional
response.  However, sometimes it helps to have the complete thought of
the particular person and idea or question you are responding to.

Sometimes on this list, even though trying to remember to trim my
jumped on, being accused of never trimming my posts which in fact wasn't
true at all.  This seem to happen more often than not when the person
actually didn't like the ideas or opinions I had expressed.  So instead
of responding to the idea, they nit picked on issues like "trimming."

Basically I believe in a live and let live policy, but to be honest and
probably overly blunt, that are certain cultures in Hawaii who just
can't accept that, to the point of not even knowing the extent they
impose their particular view, life style, sense of humor, ( or lack
thereof) on the lives of others.  It's not like they are doing a thing a
 certain way and teaching by example.  Rather they blatantly force
others into their way, and are hyper critical of others if it isn't done
their way.

These are just my opinions, and of course anyone is free to do, think,
and act any way they want.  In other words, by expressing these
opinions, I'm in no way saying you should do what I do, or believe the
way I do.  I'm only asking for the freedom to just be myself, and be the
way I am, because that's how I am.