[luau] improving sustainable write to disk rates

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 4 15:57:00 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:

> I think modern SCSI drives (and even IDE drives) can sustain 40MB/sec
> sequential with only a single disk.  What kind of speeds do you get with
> a single disk on that SCSI controller?

Modern SCSI drives can, and modern SCSI busses can handle multiple
drives all maxxed.  Unfortunately, he says his RAID controller has some
odd issue that's forcing it to SCSI 2 (Ultra SCSI, didn't specify wide
or fast, but I assume one of them as Ultra SCSI 2 is only 20MB/sec).
40MB/sec is hitting the max transfer rate of the bus.  He needs to
convince it to actually use the Ultra SCSI 3 (U160) modes that it's
supposed to support.

--MonMotha