[luau] improving sustainable write to disk rates

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Wed Sep 4 13:40:01 PDT 2002

> Can anybody recommend ways of improving write to disk performance under
> Linux?  I've got a system with dual scsi drives attatched via RAID
> controller set to level 0 (striping), and am getting what I consider to be
> pretty low long term data rates for what should be a high performance
> system.

Couple of questions:
  o What blocksize are you writing with?
  o Are you using buffered i/o?
  o Are you writing to the device at the block level, or with a filesystem?
  o Which filesystem?
  o Have you tested the i/o of this device with dd?
	 (For those of you who are new to dd:
     `dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/array0/zeroes bs=1M count=500`
	 will write 500 megs of zeros to the file 'zeroes', adjusting the
	 blocksize (bs=) and the count (count=) is a good way of benchmarking
	 device performance)
  o Is this the same problem you were having last year?  <eg>

Aloha,
charles