[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 4 13:57:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 10:22, Robert Green wrote:
> I agree with the overall ideas of the policy that was posted before,
> but I think some of it is probably worded too strongly.

Yes, that was my mistake.  I sent it off a bit too hastily.

> In my opinion, the lack of trimming is a GLARING problem that has
> been ongoing with this list (and the previous incarnation of it) as
> far back as I can recall, clear back to when LUAU had active
> meetings. It has been brought up probably 3 to 4 times a year, and
> generally there is improvement, although there are some folks who
> seem to be chronically lazy about not trimming posts.

Totally in agreement here.  I would be 500% happier if people would
properly trim quotes.

[SNIP]
> I think its all well and good to suggest alternatives programs or
> platforms, but to use cars as an analogy, some people take it to the
> point of suggesting you go get a Toyota when you are only asking how
> to change the oil in a Honda. Personally, I have felt that those
> types of responses are as bad as being off topic, since they're a
> waste of bandwidth, since it isn't a constructive answer to
> somebody's legitimate question. If it's not a constructive response,
> why would you want to send it out to the whole list?

Nice analogy, makes good sense.  (I'm sticking to Chevy.)

> Just my 2 cents on the matter -- I guess the bottom line is, a new
> policy is good, as long as it is an "encouraged" one and not a
> rigidly enforced one. Useful information, flexibility and fun for all
> should be the focus of things.

Agreed, whatever policy comes out of this, it will be encouraged and not
rigidly enforced.

Would anyone object to polite form letters sent directly to people,
reminding them about list etiquette?

Warren