[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 4 11:02:00 PDT 2002

Gary Sublett wrote:
> Warren,
>
> Of course you can take you bat and ball and go home if you want, but I
> am not sure that would solve much.  I have to admit your original post
> on this matter troubled me a bit and sounded like there might be a
> potential for unwarrented censorship.

I think what Warren was getting at was self-censorship.  Basically, try
not to incite riots, flame, troll, etc.  If you would be justifiably
(and I know this is a stretch...) moderated down for it on slashdot,
please don't post it.

Controversy is OK and encouraged, but blatant flaming is not.

> My thoughts on the matter are; if this list is to have a set of
> rules/expected netiquette (and it should), then they should be publicly
> posted. The list rules should be posted on the web page where one
> subscribes to the list and a copy should be forwared to all new
> subscribers once they have confirmed their subscription.

Probably a good idea.

> What should
> the rules be?  A good start/example might be  those used by the  silicon
> valley linux users group and can be found at:
>
> http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.shtml
>
> Frankly, I am more troubled by the lack of trimming and off topic
> threads than the unsubstantiated controversial comments.

As am I, but unsubstantiated flaming and trolling has a tendency to get
out of control if taken too lightly.

> ---
> Gary

--MonMotha