[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 4 01:58:00 PDT 2002

Without naming names, I have become a bit saddened by the attitudes of
the posts on this list.

I believe that if everyone keeps a few simple rules in mind, we can
raise to a higher standard of post quality, while preventing garbage
that otherwise only wastes peoples time in reading.  For this purpose, I
will be formulating formal list policy soon.

The following are basic ideas that will become part of this formal
policy.  Comments are welcome.

1. No unsubstantiated controversial comments unless you are prepared to
back up your claims.  Rational discourse is encouraged.  Irrational
flames are not.

2. No childish name calling - this includes Microsoft bashing.  This
type of banter really pollutes the signal to noise ratio of any group.
It scares people.  Really.  I will elaborate more tomorrow.

3. If you reply, TRIM YOUR QUOTES down to a bare minimum to maintain
context to which you are replying.  It makes the list MUCH EASIER to
read if everyone cleanly trims quotes.

4. Before you post anything, think to yourself, "Is this worth being
delivered to over 250 people and be put into permanent archive
forever?"  If your answer to yourself is yes, then by all means post.
However, do not let this scare you into not posting.
(I probably gotta re-word this one, it is somewhat scary and
discouraging as-is.)

Agree?  Disagree?  Comments please.
(TRIM YOUR QUOTES!)

Warren Togami